Are we preparing our students for a world of Mass Collaboration? I don't know. I can't speak for everyone, but for me in my journey towards wrapping my brain around all of these tech terms, tools and so on, I'm probably not the greatest example of incorporating it into my classroom. When I think of collaborating, it means working together with others to build, change or modify a particular project. It is often an ongoing process which encourages its contributors to add on to what already exists. Wikis are a perfect example of this. The students certainly do a lot of cooperation, but collaborating on a larger scale is something that is a work-in-progress. The Flat Classroom Project is a perfect example of how teachers and students can get involved in mass collaboration in a fairly easy way. As was brought to my attention by one of our course instructors, Jeff Utecht, there is actually a University of the People! It is the first university of its kind that is completely tuition free, completely online where the students teach each other based on a decided upon curriculum. This University demonstrates the power and limitless possibilities (albeit some are way out there!) for mass collaboration.
As my comfort levels in infusing more and more technology in my classroom rise, I intend to embrace projects that will allow my students to engage in collaborative, meaningful ways beyond the walls of room 227.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment